Divas, Downtime and Dear Jane: August 11, 2008 Week in Review
Searches Arriving On One Degree This Week
Who needs Google Trends when you can look at our analytics and see what's popular - or not so much popular as ... kinda weird. Searches that led people to One Degree this week:
- scotiabank podcasts (what do you need to know about podcasts?)
- "holiday email marketing" (speaking of which - have you started planning your holiday campaigns yet?!)
- burton cummings
- eatons mail order farmhouses
- "what is it called when you are afraid of crowds" (Ask Monica Hamburg)
New Contributors This Week
- CT Moore actually contributed his first article to One Degree just before our summer hiatus. So we're taking this opportunity to say "Welcome!" with his latest piece (first in a four part series) on affiliate marketing. CT works for a Montreal-based retail affiliate network, and we're looking forward to him providing the inside scoop on affiliates and this rising marketing program.
- Want to contribute? Get the deets !
Thanks to Our Sponsors!
- Lots of jobs this week! Several positions at Espresso and a gig at the CNIB.
- Great events coming up! Web Analytics in YYZ and YVR, plus PodCamp in YUL.
- Commune Media tells us how to write for Search Engines AND Humans!
Seen on Canadian Marketing Blogs
- Dear Jane Sample comments on the new Bell campaign
- Linda Bustos calls attention to a couple of cool video/ecommerce tools
New to the Blogroll This Week
- No one this week! Are YOU on the Great Canadian Marketing and Communications Blogroll?
Releases, Announcements and News
- Montreal's Twist Image opens a Toronto office; both Mitch Joel (Twist Image's president) and Leigh Himel (the GM of the new Toronto office) are One Degree contributors.
- CNW launches their new Social Media Release product and service. Personally, I really like SMRs. I like to receive them as a blogger and I like to send them when I'm playing a flack. To me, weaving a rich and coherent story for a product launch is aided by a SMR. I haven't had a lot of time to check out CNW's new product but what really stands out for me is the ability to have comments on your SMR. I'd also like to see trackbacks (for those of us who want to keep the conversation on our blog) - perhaps those can be incorporated in a future update.
- One Degree contributor Eden Spodek and Connie Crosby launched a podcast about communities called Community Divas
- One Degree is a proud sponsor of PodCamp Montreal ! If you're in Quebec, Ontario or New England, make plans to attend September 20 and 21, 2008!
- Also about us .. OneDegree.ca was named to Spotlight Ideas Top 20 "Bread and Butter Blogs" of Advertising, Marketing, Media and PR. Aside from the Top 20, they group other top blogs in other categories like customer experience, account planning and social media. In these categories are several other great Canadian blogs: Get Elastic for ecommerce, ProPR for PR, IdeasOnIdeas for Design and Twist Image for online marketing.
- Finally, One Degree email was offline for about 48
hours earlier this week; backlogged email has been coming in slowly.
If you sent us something and haven't heard back, a resend is
This Friday's Timewasting Activity
- Last night on Twitter there was a flutter of tweets about Face Your Manga - a website where you can create a mangaesque avatar for your various social media profiles. Tired of that self-portrait of you at Starbucks? Try this for a change.